I am really getting into making my own clothes lately. I especially love turning one thing into another by just a few changes. Over the weekend I made a dress from a laundry bag and a skirt from a cardigan sweater. For today’s tutorial I will focus on the Cardigan Sweater Skirt.
Look for more tutorials on upcycled clothing in the months to come and also get ready for my launch of a new upcycled clothing section in my online store in 2011. I can’t wait!
How to Reuse a Cardigan Sweater to Make a Skirt:
1. Turn the sweater inside out and remove the sleeves.
2. Cut along the seam that would have sat on your shoulder when wearing the cardigan.
3. Open up the cardigan and use the top of the cardigan as the bottom of the skirt.
4. Cut the bottom of the skirt so it is even.
5. Choose fabric to fill on the holes and pin them in place. Hem the edges first!
6. After filling in both holes with fabric hem the bottom of the skirt.
7. Add any embellishments you would like to! I decided to add a few silk ties to the mix.
Now, go stay warm in your new cardigan sweater skirt!